More than 50 km of ViaRhôna cycling path in Bugey
- Part of Eurovelo 17, the ViaRhôna cycle route links Lake Geneva and the Mediterranean sea on 850 km. Currently close to being clompleted, the path is mainly composed of cycling path and shared roads.
- The path is easily accessible, many parking lots are located along the way.
- The ViaRhôna is particularly flat and its safe roads composed of bike paths is particularly adapted for families and children.
- Picnic tables along the way allow to take breaks on the shores of the river to relax, eat and enjoy the view.
- Different sites can be visited close to the ViaRhona.
Download the 2020 ViaRhôna map:
Different points of interest near the ViaRhôna :
- The Grand Colombier, its famous hairpins and a wonderful point of view over the Alps on the top.
- Culoz, its historical centre, the Montveran castle.
- Ceyzérieu, typical local village, the house and swamp of Lavours, natural reserve.
- Vongnes, wine producing village, the caveau Bugiste and its museums about winegrower traditions and stone-cutting tools.
- Chanaz, charming village along the Savière canal, cruise on the Lake Bourget starting point.
- Lake Lit au Roi, its port and a panoramic view.
- Belley, capital of Bugey, its cathédrale and history.
- Izieu, Jewish children memory museum.
- Brégnier-Cordon, Murs-et-Gélignieux, and their water sports centres.
- Glandieu, its majestic waterfall.
- More information on the ViaRhona website: www.viarhona.com
Bridge Virignin – La Balme :
The bridge between La Balme and Virignin is now open.
For your information:
- The bridge over the Rhône located between Virignin and La Balme has been completed on 23 July 2021.
Families are advised to avoid the way through the tunnel and use the shortcut on the other side.
- The Cuchet bridge near Murs-et-Gélignieux, the Bruyère bridge in Brégnier-Cordon and the Groslée bridge can be difficult to cross with young children despite the presence of a small sidewalk on both sides of the road.
- July 26 to October 8: Groslée bridge will be closed due to roadworks.
Detour is possible via the Pont d’Evieu on the D33 road then via Brangues before returning to the cycling path right before the Pont de Groslée on the southern side of the river Rhone. Follow the purple route on the map below.
Follow the last information about cycling in Bugey on the Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/bugeyvelo01/